Popular Posts

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Irish Story :)

So our program Arcadia, has this contest where people can submit stories, poems ect for their newsletter and the winner gets 50 euros to Dunnes (it is this GREAT! store, kinda like target but much better haha) and well I WON .  I wrote this story completely from my heart, describing just how amazing Ireland is and how it is impacted my life in so many ways.  I wanted to share this with all of you and I hope you enjoy it!

-Love, Ginger


‘The voyage of discovery lies not in finding new landscapes, but in having new eyes’
-Marcel Proust
Before I came to Ireland, I knew very little about this marvelous country.  I knew that many of my past relatives came from Ireland, most likely during the famine when many people fled to the states.  I was aware that St. Patrick was their patron saint and that the story of the leprechaun was associated with Ireland’s history.  As I anticipated my exciting journey, I wasn’t too sure what to expect, how to feel, what I would see and if these things would, in fact, have a significant impact on my life.  However, after only a month in Ireland, I have already learned so much about this country and also about myself. 
Ireland is a small country, size similar to that of Maine in the United States; a country that is known for its rolling green hills, rainy days, and multiple sheep roaming the fields.  However, Ireland has so much more to offer than those few things that come to mind.  Ireland is a place of warmth, kindness, generosity and acceptance.  When I was lost in Dublin, holding my map in front of me, pointing and looking like a complete tourist, a woman suddenly stopped what she was doing to help me.  For someone to do such a simple, considerate action, made me realize that I wasn't in America anymore.  Now, in Minnesota- where I am from- something like this would happen, the Midwest is full of friendly people.  But being a 'foreigner' in this new country, people knowing right away that we are American and 'do not belong here', does not change their morals, their kind personality, and their generosity in helping others when they need help.  The people here in Ireland are all truly one of a kind.  I have never felt so comfortable or so accepted by everyone that I meet.  This trait that the Irish people have is truly incredible and it continues to unite them as a country and builds that pride and unity that they have been striving for since the 1800's, when they rebelled against the British and fought for 'Home Rule'.  Ireland has proven itself to be a strong, unique, kind country, and many places cannot express all of these wonderful traits. 
While I am studying here at the University of Limerick, I enrolled myself in many different courses to help me become truly understanding of Ireland and of the Irish people.  In my history course, we have been learning about Ireland’s fight for independence from Britain’s Control.  The Irish people wanted to preserve their culture as being their own, to establish their own identity and continue to live as their own separate country, with morals, beliefs and pride. However, they felt that Britain’s powerful intervention was ‘stripping’ them of their identity.  In response to this, the Gaelic League was created to revive the Irish language in the 20th century and it was through traditional Irish song that they began to spread the language.  In our Traditional Irish Music class, there was a relationship between the Irish Language and folk-song; ‘Gottfried Von Herder’s theory of language and thought explained that each culture was unique and that the only way to understand a given culture was through its language as a form of cultural identity’.  Irish music is a significant expression of their identity as a way to relay their traditions and beliefs.   The Irish people fought to not only defend their small country, but to defend their dignity as a nation of hope. 
As I continue to live here in this new country, I have realized that my worldly perspectives are changing every day, allowing me to grow more and more.  I am learning the importance of having an open mind and seeing beyond what is right in front of me. From walking through campus on a daily basis to traveling to various places throughout Ireland, I have come to learn that this country is united in a common way.  They strived to defend their identity and continue to today.  Unlike in the United States, they are not held back by time or schedules or even routine. They approach each day as a new beginning that will lead to new happiness, new discoveries and new experiences; they live open and free.  Since living here, I have come to appreciate so much more in my life, attempting to live each day free of regret and doubt, instead, full of hope and desire.  Living in Ireland continues to inspire me to be a better person, being more accepting and opening my eyes to new perspectives.
I am so grateful that this is where I chose to spend four months of my life, growing as an individual and as an Irish descendant.  Being here makes me feel prideful to have Irish running through my veins and being able to call this place home. Even though this isn’t my true home, I still feel as if this is exactly where I am supposed to be.  

1 comment:

  1. Sam, that is lovely! It's spoken from the heart. I'm so glad that you're having such a great time. Ireland is my dream destination!
    Have fun spending your Euros!

    ReplyDelete