Popular Posts

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chocolate, Cheese, and WINE! Hello Switzerland :)

In February, some of my family members moved to Switzerland.  My cousin Todd, his wife Christine and their three childern, Anna, Henry, and Isaac.  During Christmas, we talked about me visiting them while I was in Ireland, but I wasn't sure how and if I could make it possible.  However, as soon as I arrived in Ireland I knew that seeing the Smalley family was an absolute must! I mean, how could I miss out on this amazing once in a lifetime opportunitiy :). So my friend Victoria and I started out on our journey Thursday March 17th at 4 am.  We took the bus to Dublin, Yes, on St Paddy's Day, and got to the city around 8.  We then went to my friend Ellie's apartment in Dublin.  After we got into the city to 'watch' the parade, we realized that Dublin, on St. Paddy's day is ABSOLUTELY insane! People everywhere and unless you were 2 feet tall and squeezed your way to the front of the crowd and right on the cirb, there was no way you would be able to even make out what was going on in the parade.  If you planned on eating lunch, out of the question, unless you wanted to eat a slice of pizza in a small smelly alley while locals came up to you, completely wasted, asking you random questions and having the Gaurds come, telling them to leave. So, that is exactly what we did.. it's an adventure right ;). After our delicious alley pizza, we attempted to walk to the airport, silly silly idea, since it was about a 25 min bus ride.  After 15 mins, we finally found the airport shuttle and finally started our long journey to Switzerland.  Our first flight arrived in Liverpool London around 7 that night.  As soon as walked off the plane and about to board the bus to our hostel, we told the man working were we needed to go and the first thing he says is "Oh no, you're staying there? Just be VERY careful".  Hello Liverpool! haha.  Our hostel had a 'groovey' feel; peace and free lovin'.  It was a new experience :).  We went to bed right away and woke up at 4 for a taxi to the airport.  We flew out of Liverpool and into Geneva Switzerland at 9:50.  We then took a 45 min train ride to Morges, where my family was living at the time (they are now moved into their new GORGEOUS home in Vevey, where the kids go to school).  Christine and Isaac met us at the Train station and for the rest of the weekend, we felt so happy and blessed to be in a home, with a family again.  Christine made us a delicious lunch before all of us went to pick up Anna and Henry from school.  Anna was returning from a skiing field trip (such a lucky girl!).   The kids' school was right on Lake Geneva, surrounded by breath taking, beautiful alps, that were poking out from behind the clouds, their white, snowy tops barely visible.  It was absolutely incredible.  After walking around the city of Vevey and having a delicious Chocolate croissant, Victoria and I met the family back at home and had yet another incredible dinner with the family.  Sharing a glass of wine and family stories with Todd and Chrisitne was amazing, It made me appreciate my time abroad, away from my real life so much more.  On Saturday, it was a rainy day so we drove to their new home and then walked about the city of Launsanne.  Saturday night, we played banana grams for hours haha.  On Sunday, we went to the village and castle of Gruyeres, which sat  inbetween the green fileds and the beautfiul alps.  For lunch, we had amazing cheese fondue and ice cream for dessert, of course.  That evening, we celebrated Anna's tenth birthday, I am so glad I was able to share that with her.  Monday morning, Victoria wondered around Morges, had a cup of coffee and roamed the chocolate and pastry shops (it is IMPOSSIBLE to walk past them).  Afterwards, we went to the chocolate isle in the grocery store spent probably 15 mins trying to decide what to buy.  Yes, the chocolate in Switzerland is the best chocolate I have ever had. Then it was time to head back to 'reality'.  We took the train back to the airport, flight to liverpool, 5 hour layover, half hour flight to Dublin, then two hours waiting for the bus.  We finally made it back to campus at 4 am (I don't think I have ever been awake so many times in one week before the sun, it was quite an accomplishment).  Then, three days later we were on our way to Barcelona Spain!  

Visiting my family in Switzerland was absolutely incredible and truly made my experienc abroad even more life-changing.  Having this opportunity to travel AND being able to spend qualtiy one-on-one time with the people I love, made me realize how inspiring studying abroad is. I am so glad that we decided to visit them because the adventure they are all just beginning is such an incredible experience as a family where they will learn so much about themselves and grow closer as a family.  This opportunity will be life-changing and allow them to appreciate so much more about life and themselves.  I am so excited for them and so happy that they are embracing this amazing opportunity to grow and learn. I cannot wait to plan my next visit to see them :)

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment